Monday, January 17, 2011

Why to Photo?

Again, This blog is connected to my class - Find your eye - http://www.kateyeview.com/p/find-your-eye-e-course.html
The class is coordinated through Wishstudio - http://wishstudio.com/

Today's exercise is to answer the questions:  Why do I take photos? What draws me to photography? What are my motivations?

This one is pretty easy for me.  I take pictures to connect with others.  I take pictures to freeze memories and remember the fun that we had.  Best photos from school, family, and sports events are posted for sharing.  Picasa Line



As I develop my skill, I've added a couple of more reasons.  I take pictures as trade - For instance, I'll take pictures of my girls batting coach's softball team for trade in batting lessons.  And now I take satisfaction in knowing that my photos are well above average.  I love going into friends houses and seeing my work on their walls - maybe sometime as simple as a smiling snapshot from a sleepover or in one cast, a wedding portrait.





I like the positives that photography brings to my life.  Bad photos are easily shared, skipped, and forgotten.  But the good ones are mentioned or framed. The good ones are displayed.  Good portraits bring memories of loved ones and happy times.  Good ones lend color to my walls.  Good ones take me on a mini vacation to a good place. 

And while I'm shooting, the time falls away.  There are options with no right or wrong.  Just the series of moments where I know that I got something worthwhile.   




This photo was from a foggy morning shoot with my daughter.  I love the combination of color and fog. 
I always see this beautiful image of a fall day along the river.  But when I'm just done admiring the reflections, I notice my daughter, taking her own photo and I'm transported back to a wonderful morning together.  Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Julie, I really love this post. I love the way you compare the bad photos (forgotten) while the good photos are honored and loved. We need to do this with more in our life, I think. :) It sounds like photography brings you a sense of peace and satisfaction in a job well done.

    ReplyDelete