Monday, January 17, 2011

Light Adjustments

This week's exercise is on light adjustments.  I didn't do a new series for this lesson, but I'll use a photo series that I did at Christmas.  The subjet is my daughter's lavalamp.   
In spite of the darkness of the background, this photo was taken in mid-day ambient light.  The exposure was set to -5 stops to avoid overexposing the bottom of the lamp.  f 1.4, 1/250 s, 50mm, ISO 200, taken with a makeshift tripod.  In retrospec, I should have gone to f5. 

I like the color of this image.  I did darken it up slightly in post-processing.  There is still a bit of brown in the background, so I could go further. 

This is definitely out of my normal lighting.  Usually, I'm on ambient lighting for outdoor sports.  I rarely play with exposure in that setting, but here is the best to date.  This one is overexposed, using the bright shadows for contrast.  

3 comments:

  1. Great idea, going back to the old photos that you have already played with exposure on. I'm going to share that tip with the group!

    I really like the contrast you were able to achieve in the second one. The silhouette of against the sky, but also the bright backlighting of the player in the background. Definitely a more dramatic and unusual take on this scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kat. That photo is pretty special to me. It was Jamie's first day pitching. I was caught on the wrong side of the field for the light and knew that she would only get one batter. Sometimes the problems turn into something good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the drama that the strong contrasts provide in the second image is wonderful! I also really like the diagonal lines.

    ReplyDelete