Monday, January 17, 2011

Find You Eye - Exercise Week 1 - Different lighting

I am taking an online photoclass - Find your Eye by a friend, Katrina Sloma.  Photos to my blog will be focused around class assignments for a few weeks.  

The first exercise is around different lighting.  The task:  Take a series of photos of the same object with various different lighting types, noticing which versions I prefer. 



Room lighting only - a fixture with three florescent bulbs located above the chair

Again, the overhead light, but I added a front flash - horrible shadow on the wall - YUCK!

Window lighting only with the exposure set to -2 stops.  This is my favorite.  I like the backlight outline on the slats of the chair and the shine off of the top curve.  The overall darkness gives a sense of drama.  Too bad I had the window so close.  The glare and color compete with the chair.

Same natural light, but with the exposure adjustment back to zero.  This one is so flooded with light that the backlight shines just don't have the same effect.

Natural backlight plus a flash bounced off of the right wall.  Yucky shadows.

Light only from the room door.  The light and shadows aren't horrible, but I really should have used a tripod! 


2 comments:

  1. Welcome Julie! :) Nice to connect with you in this way too. Thanks for doing the exercise and posting the pics. I like seeing the different flash and directional lighting you tried. The chair has an interesting shape with lots of edges which makes it nice for studying light. I agreed with you - like the underexposed chair for the drama. It does make a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job doing and posting the exercise! Love your blog. Look forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete